Back to college: tax relief on tuition fees

If you are in the unfortunate position of not having your or your children’s college fees covered by a grant you may get some help by way of a tax relief.

What is it?

Quite simply – a reduction in your income tax bill! The reduction is given in respect of certain tuition fees paid. Registration fees do not qualify, however from 2011 the student contribution does qualify. The tuition fees must be paid to approved colleges – click here for a list of approved colleges and courses.

How much?

The relief is at 20% of the qualifying fees. For the tax year 2011 the maximum amount of qualifying fees is €5,000 and the relief is not available for the first €2,000 (€1,000 for part-time courses). So if you pay €5,000 in tuition fees, you get relief on €3,000 at 20% which is €600.

How do I get it?

If you are self employed you can claim it in your tax return at the end of the tax year.

If you are a PAYE worker you can claim the relief during the tax year and have it applied through your tax credits. Here’s a link to the application form which should be sent to your local tax office.

More information?

Contact us here.

Or have a look at the Revenue website

Comments are closed.